Sometimes called spinal manipulations, chiropractic adjustments are a therapeutic treatment that's frequently used in chiropractic care. It uses pressure to manipulate the joints throughout the body, easing stiffness, pain, and other types of discomfort. At Barnes Chiropractic in Elkhart, we use chiropractic adjustments alongside other treatments to provide relief for our patients.
How Adjustments Are Used In Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic adjustments are used to treat misaligned joints and restore the joint's range of motion. Not only can it provide pain relief, but it can also improve the function of a joint. It's used as a treatment for many conditions, including:
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain treatment
- Chronic headaches
- Injury treatment, including sports injury and overuse injuries
- Extremity pain
Types of Chiropractic Adjustments
Not only are chiropractic adjustments used to treat a variety of conditions, but there are many different adjustments a chiropractor can use during treatment. Specific adjustments involve applying pressure to an individual joint. General adjustments are used to mobilize several joints at the same time.
While adjustments are frequently done by hand, there are many tools that chiropractors can use when making adjustments, including specialized tables and instruments. Chiropractors also use many different adjustment techniques, such as:
- Direct thrusts: This is a popular form of manual therapy that's commonly used as a back pain treatment. It involves applying rapid pressure to the spine.
- Lumbar rolls: During these adjustments, the patient lies on their side while the chiropractor applies pressure to the vertebra.
- Release work: These adjustments are done by hand and use fingers to separate vertebrae that are too close together.
- Myofascial release: Myofascial release is commonly used in sports injury treatment. It's similar to a massage and can relax muscles throughout the body.
- Functional technique: This adjustment is intended to free restricted joints. During treatment, the chiropractor will apply gentle pressure while moving the joint through its normal range of motion.
How You Can Benefit from Chiropractic Adjustments
While there are many ways to treat pain, chiropractic adjustments do more than mask your symptoms. Adjustments can increase blood flow in areas of the body, reducing inflammation and speeding up the body's natural healing process.
With regular chiropractic care, you will see an improvement in balance and posture. Chiropractic adjustments are a way to treat issues that are causing you discomfort and can improve your long-term health.
Start Treatment with Our Chiropractor in Elkhart, IN
Whether you're struggling with aches and pains, recovering from an injury, or simply want to improve your health, now is a great time to see a chiropractor. At Barnes Chiropractic, we will create a personalized treatment plan that addresses all of your concerns. Call our team today at (574)-295-9355 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.